The Adoptions Process
Thank you for your interest in adoption! All animals that come under our care are treated with the utmost compassion and respect while they remain with us. We attempt to identify breeds, age, and sizes of all the animals, but since many come to us without a health history or previous owner, this is not an exact science!
To ensure that our furry friends find the best forever homes to meet their needs, we’ve developed a simple process for adopting.
Your Adoption Requirements
- You must be 21 or older.
- You must provide documents that specify that all current pets are up to date on required vaccinations and tests. These include rabies, DHPP and a heartworm test within the last year for dogs and rabies, FVRCP and a FeLV/FIV test within the last year for cats.
- All of your currently-owned cats and dogs must be spayed/neutered. This is non-negotiable.
- All members of your family must meet the pet before adoption.
What Does Each Adoption Include?
- Spay/neuter surgery
- Required vaccinations (age-appropriate)
- DHLPP (canine distemper with leptospirosis)
- Canine Influenza (bivalent)
- FVRCP (feline distemper)
- Required tests (age-appropriate)
- Fecal test
- Heartworm test (dogs only)
- FeLV/FIV testing (cats only)
- Flea and heartworm prevention
Keep in mind that vaccine boosters and age-appropriate testing after adoption is the responsibility of the owner.
Our Adoption Process
- Complete an adoption application after you’ve decided on meeting a pet.
- Have all the family members you live with meet the pet, and as long as everything goes well, the application will be approved.
- If you are adopting a dog, we’ll need to plan a meet-and-greet with any of your current dogs to ensure they get along. For cats, we can arrange this as well, but it’s not typically done, due to cats being anxious outside of the home environment.
Please contact us at (630) 469-7400 to inquire about adoption fees. You will need to also purchase a rabies tag as well as six months of heartworm prevention at the time of adoption.